[geos-devel] [Fwd: [Boost-users] [boost] Formal Review: Boost.Polygon starts today August 24, 2009]

Hartmut Kaiser hartmut.kaiser at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:03:45 EDT 2009

> Martin Davis wrote:
> > Hmmm... GEOS comes off rather badly compared to GGL.  Is that because
> >  of memory access issues?  Or perhaps the fact that less code is
> > inlined?
>
> It's hard to judge, but I'm quite sure inlining is only a small and
> minor optimisation available.
> GEOS and GGL follow completely different programming paradigms.
> GGL is strongly based on static polymorphism resolved and calculated in
> compile-time. This increases changes that compilers will apply finest
> possible optimisations.

>From what I've seen in GEOS and GGL, GEOS is mostly relying on dynamic
memory allocation, where GGL tries to avoid that. GEOS relies on runtime
polymorphism, where GGL relies on compile time (static polymorphism). GEOS
is built using Java-ish constructs, where GGL is build the C++ way...

All of this influences the runtime behavior, but there might be more
reasons. Please note, I didn't do any thorough analysis, all of this is just
guessing.

Regards Hartmut