3D operations (Re: [geos-devel] C API coordinate sequencedimensions)

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Jan 14 08:17:07 EST 2009

Well from my observation it looks like most of those Ops functions (not
sure about Union and Intersection) -- first do a 2D operation and then
do some sort of apply the Z back on.  So the Z is never considered in
the basic operation -- thus the cause of a lot of the goofiness.

 Take this example.  It seems clear to me that these polygon's are not
within each other so it should be a multipolygon not a Polygon with a
hole. One lies above the other.

SELECT ST_AsEWKT(ST_BuildArea('MULTILINESTRING((0 0 1,20 0 1,20 20 1,0
20 1,0 0 1),(10 10 2,10 11 2,11 11 2,11 10 2,10 10 2))'))

"POLYGON((0 0 1,0 20 1,20 20 1,20 0 1,0 0 1),(10 10 2,11 10 2,11 11 2,10
11 2,10 10 2))"