[geos-devel] Automake 1.10 vs. Automake 1.9.5

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Fri Mar 20 14:29:02 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Howard Butler <hobu.inc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Philip Mason wrote:
>>
>> In terms of substantive code changes, there were only 4 or 5 source
>> files that I needed to merge into my working copy ...
>
> Are you maintaining your own internal fork of GEOS?  The license police
> might not like that...

On the contrary, we're totally fine w/ it, as long as the sources to
the fork are distributed with the binaries. Particularly if the
changes in the fork are uninteresting to us, that would actually be
the preferable course of action.

In fact, you don't even have to distribute the source to the fork, just

"... a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any
third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically
performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of
the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
interchange ..."

P.