[geos-devel] GEOS cross-heap problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 13 00:19:23 EDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Please feel free to add the patch into trunk.

Paul,

Done (r2506).  Details at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/249

> Regarding API additions, I am feeling a little conservative. At a
> minimum, once you start doing that, all the downstream packages have
> to start testing for revision in order to know if they can call the
> feature.
 >
> I'd like to hear from others on this.

OK - though I don't see the downside.  Downstream packages only need
to check for, and use GEOSFree() if they want.  We are just adding a
new option, not altering an existing one or removing anything.

> On a related note, strk has completed a large run through upgrading
> GEOS to the latest JTS, which has added some extra robustness to a
> number of cases, and he's also tracked and killed some long-standing
> bugs. A GEOS 3.2 would not be a bad thing to have, rather than letting
> the functionality moulder in SVN. (This would also be a fine place for
> API changes)

I'd be pleased to see GEOS 3.2 though for my purposes (OSGeo4W) I would
really like GEOSFree() in GEOS 3.0.4.

Best regards,