[geos-devel] GEOS Ruby bindings gem and extensions

J Smith jay at zoocasa.com
Wed Dec 1 09:24:58 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:16 AM, strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> Why not LGPL ?
>
> As per "usual", freshmeat finds 276 projects written in Ruby,
> with their licenses:
>
>        GPL: 90
>      MIT/X: 43
> BSD Revised: 33
>       LGPL: 28
>      GPLv3: 18
>
> http://freshmeat.net/search?page=1&q=ruby&submit=Search&with=800&without=

The MIT license is sort of the trending license for Ruby projects
these days, if you will. I think Rails started the trend, as its major
components are all MIT licensed, as are many of the more popular
Ruby-based projects like Phusion Passenger, Bundler, rspec, gemcutter,
jeweler... on my system for instance, out of the 276 gems I have
installed (strange coincidence), approximately 207 gems appear to be
using the MIT license after some grepping around. ("Approximately", as
the license information seems to be omitted from the gemspecs way more
often than not, so my grepping was done using portions of the text of
the license itself and the phrase "MIT licen[sc]e".)

Anyways, when in Rome and all that...

Raw numbers aside, we also like the simple terms of the license and
its permissive nature.