[geos-devel] GEOS Ruby bindings gem and extensions

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Wed Dec 1 13:48:54 EST 2010

> I don't really know how much maintenance would be required going
> forward as the Ruby bindings seem are quite stable. Perhaps this sort
> of release will foster some interest in new features in the bindings
> themselves. For our part, we've never had to patch away at the
> bindings directly and have been putting all of our extensions into the
> separate gem we'll be releasing, so that's kind of a separate thing.

In a perfect world, I would probably rewrite the Ruby bindings to not
use SWIG because that makes it really hard for others to contribute due
to SWIG's learning code and the awful C code it generates.

However, its not that big of a win as long as the current bindings
expose whats needed from the geos c api and then any
extensions/additions/language specific stuff is done in regular ruby code.

But if you have a week to kill J, I think it would be a nice change :)

Charlie

Charlie Savage
http://cfis.savagexi.com