[geos-devel] GEOS Ruby bindings gem and extensions

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 14:15:23 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM, strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:44:05AM -0700, Charlie Savage wrote:
>
>> The downside is that the different language bindings (ie python and
>> ruby) go their separate ways. But that is already the case anyway...
>
> Yeah, also for PHP I didn't use swig...

I've nothing other than anecdotal evidence, but I'm convinced Shapely
(https://github.com/sgillies/shapely) has picked up more patches than
it would have if it were maintained within GEOS. I've also been able
to push out 22 releases in the time that GEOS has had 11 (11 is not a
bad number at all).

Isn't Ruby-FFI (https://github.com/ffi/ffi/wiki/why-use-ffi)
production ready? I'm having nothing but success with Python's ctypes
(and libffi) on Linux, OS X, and Windows.

--
Sean Gillies
Programmer