[geos-devel] TopologyException makes GEOS/JTS very difficult to employ in my production environments...

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:31:55 EDT 2010

Sorry for this strong title, but I would like to open a discussion on
this topic. There are already several tickets about TopologyException
happening in various contexts, and I now it is not an easy to solve
problem. We, in my company, have struggled to circumvent this frequent
error, and we put some (few) money to let Sandro (strk) analyze it.
The only solutions, at now, have been various workarounds that (not
deterministically) work for some cases/datasets, but fail with others.
Our first "meet" with this exception was due to GeomUnion operations.
Today we face it for ST_Difference op in PostGIS, and this time no
workaround is working.

I anticipate the critics: put the money on the table and someone could
invest time to solve it. Holy words, this is how foss should work. But
I'm not the boss of my company, and I've suggested to employ
PostGIS->GEOS in a big job... and now I have to solve this issue, with
no extra-money.
 If this problem cannot be solved I have to abandon PostGIS for one of
our production environments, and that would be a pity.

So, my reflection is: in a few weeks we have fighted, almost daily,
with this error. Are we the only ones to get stuck in it? Have others
found consistent,deterministic solutions?

I would be gratefull if you can share your experience and thoughts...
Giovanni