[geos-devel] Re: TopologyException makes GEOS/JTS very difficult to employ in my production environments...

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 11:16:58 EDT 2010

> Pre-empting Martin: your multipolygon is invalid.

Thanks Paul, I've learned something I didn't know... I thought that a
MP where two polygons touch on a vertice was valid.
>From SFS Specifications (par. 2.1.12):

"The Boundaries of any 2 Polygons that are elements of a MultiPolygon
may not ‘cross’ and may touch
at only a finite number of points"

JTS tells me that I have a self-intersection, but visually I only see
two vertices touchin at 1664458.5096082322,1664458.5096082322

> However: yes, there are lots of people who do big geoprocessing with
> PostGIS who inevitably, in sieving millions of features through the
> hopper, find pairs that cause topology exceptions. Would I like that
> not to happen: oh yes. Do I have the time and money to fund the
> development to conclusively remove those cases? I do not. Let's
> randomly say it would take 100,000 euros to put a stake through the
> heart of this one and fro all and see if anyone's pain rises to that
> level.

Well, I don't have 100.000, neither my company. I will keep
TopologyExcpetions here and there :)

Giovanni