[geos-devel] TopologyException makes GEOS/JTS very difficult to employ in my production environments...

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 11:37:21 EDT 2010

Hi Maxime,

> To address this problem, or at least reduce it, we wrapped the geos
> operations we need (intersection, difference, etc) and perform cascaded
> heuristic simplifications when a TopologyException occurs (simplify,
> buffer of "epsilon" around the geometry, etc).

me too :) It doesn't work in all the cases I have, but it works many
times. This time it seems the doing a ST_Union (unary union) on the
multipolygons before doing ST_Difference solves the issue. Probably
the union resolves the noding problems, but what I fear is that it
works for this specific data set, then it will fail when some other
corner cases come out...
Thanks for sharing anyway!