[geos-devel] Re: TopologyException makes GEOS/JTS very difficult to employ in my production environments...

Ragi Burhum ragi at burhum.com
Wed Sep 29 17:39:19 EDT 2010

Giovanni,

I am actually surprised that you bring this comment about a production
environment. When working with real data in production environment, FOSS or
proprietary alike (i.e ESRI), I *always* encounter data that causes Topology
Exceptions (ESRI Geometry/Geoprocessing, GEOS, JTS, whatever) at some point,
it happens. It is just the nature of the beast - data is not perfect.

What I do in such cases, is that before I digest the data, I have a set of
"cleansing" and identification procedures that I put my data through before
putting it in my pretty system. In other words, a mini-fence that I use to
avoid problems (self intersections, nulls, multiparts, whatever).

I apologize if this seems rude, however, the very first thing I do when a
geometry pair gives me problems, is to look at it. That would have shown the
problem the problem right away.

- Ragi