[geos-devel] RE: GEOS errors from PostGIS

Martin Davis mtnclimb at telus.net
Mon Jan 17 00:36:04 EST 2011

Different code, but probably the same cause.  Due to the complexities of
computing line segment intersections, unless special measures are take,
TopologyExceptions can occur in some situations (and are most likely in
the kind of situation you mentioned, where you have a lot of segments
which are nearly but not perfectly coincident).  The new code in the JTS
UnaryUnionOp is meant to reduce the likelihood of these failures.