[geos-devel] GEOS License and iOS usage

Stefan Klug klug.stefan at gmx.de
Wed Aug 8 02:15:33 PDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I'd like to include libspatialite (https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/index ) in a proprietary iPhone App. libspatialite depends on GEOS which is licensed under LGPL.
As far as I know, it is possible to use LGPLed software on iOS if the object files for custom relinking are provided. There are still problems in using LGPLed software on iOS listed in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/459833/which-open-source-licenses-are-compatible-with-the-iphone-and-app-store
specifically the need for a free iOS SDK which obviously isn't available.

So what do you, the developers of geos, think about using it on iOS? Do you generally approve the usage on iOS?

Are there any chances to license GEOS under a more permissive license like MPL or to tri-license it like stated in http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/boilerplate-1.1/mpl-tri-license-html ?

I know this is a difficult question, but it would be a pity, not being able to use geos on mobile devices because of these constraints.

Kind regards
Stefan