[geos-devel] C API / DLL only?

Chris Krycho @ GEOS geos at chriskrycho.com
Mon Jul 2 11:44:09 PDT 2012

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have not been able to find it
after a couple of days of Googling, including the list archives.

I've just started work on an existing piece of in-house software that uses
GEOS, which is built against the C API. So far so good, and it builds just
fine that way. However, I was looking to see if there's a way to use the C
API with a statically compiled library rather than the DLL, as that would
substantially simply use of the in-house software. (It would be nice to be
able to just distribute the executable, and not worry about passing around
library files as well; there's no installer as it's just an internal tool.)

However, from what I can see in the code, that doesn't appear to be
supported. Is that correct? Is it conceivably doable to modify the
makefiles to support building a static library rather than a dynamic one?

I should note, too, that I'm doing all this with MinGW/msys, and the latest
builds just fine under that configuration.

If there's a way to do this, I'm willing to put in *some* legwork to make
it happen and contribute that back to the project, but it's not worth more
than a day or two of work for my employer and I'm not *particularly* familiar
with makefiles.

If I'm just missing something obvious in the available configure and make
options, call me dumb and tell me what I'm missing. ;)

Thanks!
Chris Krycho