[geos-devel] 3.3.4 Released

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jun 1 15:42:33 PDT 2012

Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> writes:

> http://download.osgeo.org/geos/geos-3.3.4.tar.bz2
>
> Changes in 3.3.4
> 2012-05-31

Missing from NEWS is that the shlib version changed in such a way that
programs linked against geos are broken by the update.  I updated pkgsrc
From 3.3.2 to 3.3.4 (there's no good reason the 3.3.3 update wasn't
done; I just never got to it), and rebuilt geos.  Then:

  $ gdal_translate
  Shared object "libgeos-3.3.2.so" not found

This is unexpected, since the shlib version generally should not change
unless an interface was changed or withdrawn.  (That shouldn't happen in
a minor version and wasn't noted in NEWS - I don't think it actually did
change.)

I'm not sure what's going on; it seems geos puts the version in the
shlib name, and my impression is that best practices for shlib naming is
not to do that.  The libgeos_c library appears not to have this problem,
changing from (3.3.2 to 3.3.4):

  libgeos_c.so.1.7.2  (3.3.2)

  libgeos_c.so.1.7.3

with the libgeos_c.so.1 symlink repointed, so gdal_foo actually finds
that new shlib just fine.

This is being worked around in pkgsrc by marking everything that depends
on geos as unsuitable for working with 3.3.2, but it seems this issue
would affect any package system that allows replacing a package without
rebuiding or replacing anything that depends on it.

Basically, I think I'm saying "why is there -release in libgeos.la", per
  7.3 Updating library version information, and
  7.4 Managing release information
in the libtool info file.  I don't understand why intentionally breaking
binary compatibility is desired.

Sorry if I ranted about this 2 years ago and forgot the answer.

    Thanks,
    Greg