[geos-devel] 3.3.4 Released

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Jun 4 13:06:20 PDT 2012

Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 06:42:33PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> writes:
>>
>> > http://download.osgeo.org/geos/geos-3.3.4.tar.bz2
>> >
>> > Changes in 3.3.4
>> > 2012-05-31
>>
>> Missing from NEWS is that the shlib version changed in such a way that
>> programs linked against geos are broken by the update.
>
> This is no news.
> C library clients are fine. C++ library clients are warned.

Do you mean the "using the C++ library is discouraged" in the docs?
That seems to be a hint that it's better to use the C API, not a warning
that the shlib name is unstable.

Is there a technical reason why it's good to change the library name
every release?  I can see fear about C++ APIs being unstable, but that
means one needs to rebuild when the compiler changes, which is different
From going from 3.3.3 to 3.3.4.

Is this part of a plan to make it difficult to use the C++ library?  If
so, I would say that it's not working, because it makes life difficult
for packagers rather than making it difficult for people who release
code that uses the C++ library (postgis and gdal both seem to do that,
or at least they are linked that way on my system - perhaps that's a
configure/packaging bug?).