[geos-devel] [GEOS] #556: Build error using cmake: ../geos_svn_revision.h: No such file or directory

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Jun 25 07:08:56 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 01:05:59PM +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 25 June 2012 13:01, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:59:31AM -0000, GEOS wrote:
> >
> >>  Simply, I'd suggest to avoid making the whole process unnecessarily obscure.
> >
> > What's obscure about ./configure && make ?
>
> IMO, make should not generate intermediate env/platform/user-specific headers.
> It's autoconf's job.
>
> > The most obscure thing I see is "cmake" invocation, to be honest.
>
> cmake invocation is equal to ./configure step.
>
> > There's no need to explicitly invoke the svn file generator,
> > it's all taken care of by "make" ...
>
> I understand make can do it and make can (almost) do whatever you want,
> but that is not the point.

My point is that the SVN revision string serves the purpose of knowing
which SVN revision you're actually using. It's very weak to depend on
the discipline of the builder to always run ./configure (or cmake) after
each and every SVN update, so the result would often be an outdated
revision string in reported issues.

By having "make" do that we're guaranteed that the revision number is
always up to date. Special care is taken by the script to avoid overriding
the file if the revision didn't change, so you don't have to rebuild anything
until you commit or update.

May I suggest you just add the script invocation and if any compatibility
problem arises we try to fix it ?

--strk;

 Sent from our free software