[geos-devel] Re: [Incubator] Motion: GEOS to Graduate Incubation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 15:58:21 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Frank,
>
> Based upon your questions, it seems like Geos is close to completion, but
> there are still a couple of things that need to be addressed? (At least the
> writing of a Project Overview for marketing).
>
> Am I right in assuming that we should wait until these issues are actioned
> before considering Geos for incubation?

Cameron,

It is my opinion that it is sufficient for the project to accept the task of
writing a project overview.  I would be willing to commit to doing this
for the project.

There is a motion on the table, and if you feel that not currently
having the project overview is sufficient grounds to hold up
graduation it would be appropriate for you to vote -1 with an
explanation to hold things up.  I am not; however, going to
withdraw the motion over this issue as I don't feel it is blocking.

> If ok with you, I'd encourage you or someone to copy the incubation answers
> below into a wiki or similar, so that we retain a more permanent record of
> passing incubation.

Once again, it had not been my expectation that we were supposed
to provide in-advance answers to the checklist - that a completed
incubation status report like:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GEOS_Incubation_Status

is what is expected.  If we want specific answers to everything in
the checklist then it should be added to the status template.  I
continue to see the checklist as something mentors and
incubation committee members should be reviewing when
considering a project for graduation - and that might prompt
specific questions.  Many of my answers were already covered
in the status document for instance.

> My feeling is that the most thorough use of a checklist
> is to have answers to each question (as you have done in an email) and
> reviewers just need to check the answers, rather than try to work out
> answers or email questions to a list to get the answers.

Perhaps, but that is certainly a new process and I don't
think it should be assumed.

Best regards,