[geos-devel] test failures

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Aug 20 07:06:54 PDT 2013

Mike Toews <mwtoews at gmail.com> writes:

> On 20 August 2013 21:30, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
>> Could you please open one ?
>> The testsuite succeeds on my Ubuntu 64bit system.
>
> Funny, this problem appears to be only on a 32-bit OS, but not 64-bit.
> Greg, is your NetBSD 32-bit?
>
> Issue opened:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/652

The system I tested on is "i386", which is one of many flavors of 32-bit
CPUs.

On amd64 (x86_64), floating point tends to use SSE instructions, which
do not have extended precision temporary values.   But on i386, floating
point registers have more bits, and hence -ffloat-store.   So it would
be interesting to see

  results on arm, sparc, sparc64 (and alpha and vax :-)

  results on i386 when compiling with -ffloat-store

  results with clang instead of gcc