[geos-devel] [GEOS] #609: GEOSPointOnSurface returns EMPTY for single-point linestring

Martin Davis mtnclimb at telus.net
Fri Jan 11 09:32:45 PST 2013

Just to clarify my original response, the primary constraint on
functions that return geometry values is that they return a valid
geometry that makes some sort of sense.

So in the case of centroid, regardless of what is "mathematically
correct" a valid sensible geometry should be returned (as opposed to a
meaningless geometry with NaN ordinates, as now happens).

In the case of interiorPoint the situation is even more clearcut -
obviously the interior point should be one of the points in the geometry.