[geos-devel] GEOS Usage

Malcolm Toon malcolm at foreflight.com
Fri Oct 11 06:09:21 PDT 2013

Good morning!

We are evaluating spatialite with GEOS extensions for inclusion in an iOS project we're working on. Because we're targeting iOS, we cannot dynamically link the library in, so we'd have to statically link it in (unmodified though).  We've reviewed the license for GEOS and due to the LGPL and its static linking clause, it appears we'd have to provide the open source community access to any artifacts needed to build our project.  This isn't something we can do.  So, we're reaching out directly to see what advice you're giving other iOS developers in the same situation.

We are certainly excited about the ability to use GEOS and would probably be in a position to contribute to the project in the long term, but cannot provide the community any access to our project.

Please advise.

Thank you!
-Malcolm