[geos-devel] Final thoughts on GEOS on iOS

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Oct 16 15:41:48 PDT 2013

Malcolm Toon <malcolm at foreflight.com> writes:

> Sounds like we're just not going to be able to use GEOS.  That's fine.
> We certainly have other options at our disposal, it would have just
> been nice to use GEOS with spatialite as it was intended.  I do
> appreciate the help, however I am a little surprised by the animosity
> of the group towards iOS development.  I would have thought a group
> that was dedicated to open development would have a little more of an
> open mindset.

That's an unfair snipe.  GEOS is under a weak copyleft, and quite
available to those who can follow the terms.  You seem to want to create
a proprietary derived work where the users who receive it are denied the
freedom to give copies to others, and that's inconsistent with the GEOS
license.  "open" doesn't imply allowing activities that deny software
freedom to downstream recipients (although some open licenses permit
that).  Instead of blaming this group, you could ask Apple to adopt
terms that are consistent with GPL/LGPL.