[geos-devel] GEOS Usage

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Oct 16 15:51:20 PDT 2013

Howard Butler <howard at hobu.co> writes:

You make a good point that a BSD-licensed geos equivalent would be
useful to those who wish to create proprietary derived works.

> That this community is hostile to contribution from organizations such
> as yours is an opportunity.

As I read the mail, people simply pointed out that the geos license
(which can only be changed by agreement of *all* of the copyright
holders) and the app store terms are inconsistent, so the notion of
using geos in an iOS program and distributing it through Apple simply
does not work.  I don't think this is hostile, but just a calm
recognition of how the geos and Apple license terms interact.

Specifically, I haven't seen any contributions rejected.

Given that, can you explain what you mean by "hostile to contribution"?

> Maybe you could get ESRI to release the C++ library on which
> https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java is ported from under the
> same Apache license :)

Indeed, that could on someone's TODO list, along with getting Apple to
have app store terms that are consistent with the GPL :-)