[geos-devel] Buffering of invalid polygon seems to produce a less useable result

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:39:57 PDT 2014

On 2 October 2014 03:56, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> Turning an invalid geometry to a valid one can be tricky, you may want
> to look at the ST_MakeValid funcition in PostGIS to see how it is
> implemented.

Actually, ST_MakeValid  is not the only tool around now. A few months
ago, an article [1] was published to implement an alternative geometry
validity checker, named "prepair" [2]. In essence: "prepair performs
more or less the same as the PostGIS 2.0's function ST_MakeValid(),
but is faster, scales better to massive polygons" [2]. I haven't
looked at the tool myself, but stumbled upon it while digging through
literature.

-Mike

[1] Ledoux, H.; Ohori, K. A. & Meijers, M. (2014)
  A triangulation-based approach to automatically repair GIS polygons.
  Computers & Geosciences , 66, pp. 121-131,
  http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2014.01.009
[2] https://github.com/tudelft-gist/prepair