[geos-devel] What's the intent of 'assert(!"should never be reached")'?

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:12:54 PDT 2015

There are three places in GEOS where this assertion appears

https://github.com/libgeos/libgeos/blob/c9d94c2ebb68b6b679f03dc7eabebfcd39136def/src/index/strtree/AbstractSTRtree.cpp#L371

and two them have been tripping up Shapely users on OS X. I've found that
rebuilding GEOS with --disable-cassert solves the user problems: no assert
exceptions raised and no other program crashes.

My question: what is the intent of these statements? If they can be safely
ignored, as I'm doing, should they not be disabled by default?

--
Sean Gillies