[geos-devel] [GEOS] #767: "definitely lost" memory leak in rgeos_Init (rgeos.c:57)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 5 00:38:19 PST 2016

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Thanks Roger, could you provide an URL to the "rgeos"
> bug tracker as a reference ? Having this rationale as a comment
> on trac would also be nice. TIA
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/767

There is no bug tracker. General practice for all contributed R packages
(almost 8000) is to email the maintainer, whose email is in the package,
and on the archive network package page.

> packageDescription("rgeos")$Maintainer
[1] "Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no>"

This is typically what happens, but in the R-spatial community, it is
equally OK to post on R-sig-geo:

which may draw in other comments about user misunderstandings (being an
interpreted language, these do happen).

The rgeos development repo is at:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rgeos/

but the "lists" there are never used, as the developers all follow
R-sig-geo closely. Questioners may be asked to check attempts to fix
issues by installing from source from the repo; rgeos fails to build on
R-Forge because no GEOS binaries are available there so direct installs
from R-Forge do not work.

In summary - post on R-sig-geo after subscription, and follow the posting
guide with a reproducible example.

In this case as far as I can see, there is no link between the real issue
(use of rgeos through another R package under Windows on CP1252 apparently
switching locale), and the possible valgrind false positive.

valgrind may not be "seeing" all of the behaviour of the R garbage
collector; the 40 bytes are probably the GEOSContextHandle_t r stored as
an R_ExternalPtr and under the control of the R garbage collector
(alternatively something in the errorHandler or the warningHandler). The
handle is properly registered with a finalizer, so unloading the package
on R quit will free the pointer when the GC gets to it.

Thanks for taking an interest in an issue which appears to point somewhere
else - I've asked for a fully reproducible example to see where the locale
switching kicks in.

Roger