[geos-devel] Extraction of PHP extension into PECL-style package

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Wed Jan 20 12:40:45 PST 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:31:54AM -0500, J Smith wrote:

> - "We strongly encourage contributors to choose the PHP License 3.01
> for their extensions, in order to avoid possible troubles for
> end-users of the extension. Other solid options are BSD and Apache
> type licenses."

I don't envision changing the license, other than maybe upgrading
to LGPLv3.

> I've never been completely comfortable with licensing
> my own software under the PHP license because the terms of the license
> seem to imply you have to re-assign copyright to the PHP Group. (I
> think? The license itself says "Copyright (c) 1999 - 2014 The PHP
> Group".)

That probably covers the license text itself.

> I prefer to license things under BSD or MIT licenses. For the
> current example project I posted, I used a hybrid license to this end
> -- the code extracted from the GEOS source is under the LGPLv2, while
> the packaging itself is MIT.

I see no problem with that.

> - "Note: wrappers for GPL (all versions) or LGPLv3 libraries will not
> be accepted. Wrappers for libraries licensed under LGPLv2 are however
> allowed while being discouraged." I'm assuming since GEOS is LGPLv2
> there shouldn't be any problems here, but there might be some
> grumbling from PECL potentially.

GEOS being LGPL (no specific version is specified in the source code
headers, so would be v2 or later) the wrappers should also be LGPL
(or GPL).

> If that all sounds sane, I think this would be do-able. A longer-term
> goal might be to do similar extractions for the Python and Ruby SWIG
> wrappers, but I'll leave that for another day.

+1

So, to get you moved, I created a new "php-geos" git
repository with "git subtree" from the official git
mirror of GEOS.

I've pushed this new repo on both github and gitlab,
currently hosting mirror of the whole codebase:

 https://github.com/libgeos/php-geos
 https://gitlab.com/geos/php-geos

If you could re-base your changes to one of these
and send a pull-request I'll be happy to try at
importing them back to SVN.

In a second moment (possibly soon, if this gets too
convoluted) we could decide to "bless" of of these
places as the official one.