[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Apr 4 13:54:23 PDT 2017

Mat,

Can you state things you like about github over gogs.  I feel like I don't commit enough to have authority on the matter and so your opinion should matter more.

I don't know why it bugs me so much about reliance on GitHub, but it does.  Perhaps because I feel it's a free lunch that may not be so free in the future
And also I don't like that policies may be pushed down on us that we don't necessarily want and that the incentive structure of GitHub is not necessarily aligned with our own and may even change based on environmental economics.

Then again I understand that maintaining an infrastructure like Gogs requires someone willing to do it or get paid for it, so that's even less of a free lunch but does give us more control over
our destiny and how we integrate with other pieces of our infrastructure.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Regina