[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Apr 4 14:58:44 PDT 2017

Mat,

>> Then again I understand that maintaining an infrastructure like Gogs requires someone willing to do it or get paid for it, so that's even less of a free lunch but does give us more control over our destiny and how we integrate with other pieces of our infrastructure.

> At the moment, do you really need more control?
I'm a control freak.  I always need more control :)

>> Fact is, GEOS (OSGeo projects, 21 in 22 [1] projects) has already put its roots down the GitHub ecosystem that if anything dies (like Travis CI or AppVeyor), it will require lots of work to migrate/replicate.

>> Don't get me wrong, I'm not GitHub advocate. I love/hate GitHub (tm [1]).
>> At the same time, I admit, I can't comprehend the resistance.
>>  we use 90% of the surrounding services, but we die hard to not to say the final "Yes, I do" :-)

> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/InfrastructurePreferencesStatusQuo
> [2] https://twitter.com/howardbutler/status/842766853088919552

I'm also a contrarian.  The main reason for being a contrarian is if everyone is going one way, it's always nice to have someone go the other way, just in case there is a wolf on the other side. :)

So when Github  or AppVeyor or Travis CI fails (which I think there is a good chance of at least one failing),  you'll have an infrastructure ready for you to migrate to or augment what you have.
I don't think that's a bad thing.  The only question is if anyone is willing to put in that effort.  I think strk is.

So that said, if strk is willing to support Gogs, I'm still a + 1 for Gogs, and just mirror to GitHub similar to what PostgreSQL group does.
That will also satisfy some purists who don't want to use GitHub.

As a core maintainer, does it really matter so much to you whether you make your commits to Gogs or Github? In the end, it's git all the way down.
Only thing is accepting pull requests, but much of that is just the testing which mirroring takes care of anyway and I'm old-fashioned.
I always like to test things locally before I accept a pull.

If Gogs fails I think it's more trivial of an exercise to migrate to GitHub than the other way around.

Thanks,
Regina