[geos-devel] Ready to switch from SVN to GIT ?

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Apr 6 10:05:35 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 06, 2017 at 06:41:27PM +0200, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Drone is rather an interesting addition, not something to rely on, from my POV.
> It does not support builds on Windows. I'm not even sure it supports
> builds on OS X.
> (I mean 'guest' OS, not host).

We have Jenkins building GEOS on Windows, that's another research topic.
There is a Jenkins Gogs plugin which wasn't installed last time I checked.

> Tiny projects like GEOS, non-profits like OSGeo simply
> can not afford investment in developing its infrastructure at low-level.

I asked you in particular, and I'll keep asking each developer
partecipating in a free software project community. It's something
some people enjoy doing, because maybe they think they could use
the investiment they make in the future (effectively using the software
or just the skills built improving it).

> I'll repeat myself, GitHub-based ecosystem is the only cost-effective
> solution available for not-so-rich non-profits.

It really depends on what's the effect you want to obtain.
And what is the problem you're seeking a solution for.
This mailing list is about development of GEOS. Do you think we
have an infrastructural problem *blocking* the development ?
Honestly, I don't think that's the case.
There are currently 6 pending pull requests on github:
https://github.com/OSGeo/geos/pulls
One of them has a green CI and is pending since April 11, 2015.

> IMHO, GitLab with GitLab CI with its shared runners is the only
> sensible alternative.
> but still it will require lots of admin investment.

We don't need to pick one, as you can see.
We're using all of them: github.com, gitlab.com, git.osgeo.org/gitlab
and git.osgeo.org/gogs. Decide where to focus and invest your time !