[geos-devel] trailing blanks (was: Breeding .editorconfig is bad)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Apr 7 04:58:49 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 01:35:03PM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> The way I've been addressing those cases has been first committing
> removal of trailing blank spaces and then committing a separate
> funtional change.

I've tried removing all trailing blanks from .cpp and .h files
across the whole geos codebase, to get a feel of what it would
take.

The change summary is:

That's over a total of 156972 lines in 839 files, so 2% of the lines
in 90% of the files have trailing blanks.

Full change stats: http://strk.kbt.io/tmp/trailing-blanks.txt

I think 2% might be an acceptable loss for git-blame, what do you
think ? And we could then add a step in "make check" to make sure
no trailing blanks get back in the codebase.

Opinions ?