[geos-devel] Optimization

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue May 2 11:02:15 PDT 2017

On 5/2/2017 1:53 PM, Amanda Osvaldo wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I'm reading the Geos source code and have no found any low-level
> optimization, like the use AVX2 instruction set for Intel processors.
>
> It's an important question because without these and others optimization
> I have no significant difference between a Intel Core and Intel Xeon
> processors.
>
> Can someone tell me if the lack of optimization is intentional or just a
> lack of programmers?
>
> -- Amanda Osvaldo

Amanda,

I would think that this is the responsibility of the compiler, not the
application. I believe you can get an Intel compiler that is designed to
optimize for these various HW differences.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2013/01/03/free-intel-c-compilers-for-students-and-related-parallel-programming-tools

-Steve W

---