[geos-devel] Alternative licensing for GEOS

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Wed Nov 8 08:25:32 PST 2017

James,

The answer to the question of the possibility of relicensing GEOS is "no"
with near 100% certainty. There are a few significant GEOS contributors who
are steadfast in their contribution only being released as LGPL software.

This question has come up a few other times and there's never been any
movement on the topic.

I personally think the answer is to take any needed features from the
recently relicensed JTS and continue efforts to port them over into Boost
Geometry Library. BGL doesn't have parity with GEOS at the moment, but it
is still getting contribution and attention. Significant corporate
attention, contribution, and resources are needed to change the situation
in any meaningful way.

Howard