[geos-devel] RFC6 - Drop GEOS C++ API at GEOS 3.8

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 20:02:37 PDT 2017

-1 (non-PSC).  Please do not drop the C++ the C++ API.  Some folks (e.g. me
at Google) statically link GEOS and ABI compatibility is not an issue.
Every build is a complete system.  Working with C APIs is far harder.  We
end up having to wrap a C++ API back over C APIs.  But do note that I don't
use any of the provided build systems.  It's unclear what you mean in RFC6
by not providing the C++ headers.  I presume that you mean in the install
destination or do you just mean that packagers can drop the C++ header?

It's perfectly reasonable for packages to only depend on the C API and I
think that does make sense for PostGIS.

http://schwehr.org