[geos-devel] [postgis-devel] RFC6 - Drop GEOS C++ API at GEOS 3.8

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Oct 3 04:33:10 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 02, 2017 at 09:02:38PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> I've revised the RFC6 so hopefully it's more agreeable to everyone.
> https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC6

That RFC introduces a configure-time switch to enable installing C++
header, but doesn't mention installing C++ library, sounds
inconsistent to me.

Right now, the shared C library dynamically links to the shared C++ library,
so we *must* always install the shared C++ library. But the static C++ library
is only useful to those who can access the headers, so it woulnd't
make sense to install it when not installing headers too.

Maybe it could be:

   ./configure --with-cplusplus-sdk-install
   cmake -DINSTALL_CPLUSPLUS_SDK

But still, packagers will still pass that flag, in order to build
their packages, so I'm really not sure how this would help
discouraging developers from refraining to use the C++ API...