[geos-devel] RFC6 - Discourage use of C++ API by requiring a configure switch to install the c++ headers and SDK

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Oct 3 22:08:37 PDT 2017

Dale,

Thanks. Yes I missed this note.  I've revised the subject line above to make it clear what my proposal was changed to after input from you and Kurt.

The new proposal - https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC6  is to keep the C++ API but require people building to have a –with-cplusplus-sdk-install to enable it.

So far we have the following PSC Votes

Dale +1

Regina + 1

Hobu -1

Paul Ramsey hasn't voted

Sandro Santilli hasn't voted

Mat gave his -1 but he doesn't count cause he's not on the PSC :)

But I do see that Mat updated the ReadMe  -- thanks Mat -  https://git.osgeo.org/gogs/geos/geos/commit/18ad844411880b3b15507ff21c7a452ab8694cc2

I should add now that osm2pgsql and osmium are leaving the GEOS camp and it is my understanding

they were the only widely used projects using the GEOS C++ API now is a perfect time to make this motion

before any future projects start relying on the C++ API without reading the fine print and get widely adopted.

I do not trust people to read fine print, cause hell I don't until something doesn't work and I assume everyone is like me :)

If in the future we can find a way to provide the same stability promise for C++ API as we do for C API then I'm all for allowing the C++ API to be by default available without requiring any extra configure.

According to RFC1 – it says the motion can not pass    https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC1  with a -1 and I have to give Hobu a chance to debate his point :)

"Respondents may vote "-1" to veto a proposal, but must provide clear reasoning and alternate approaches to resolving the problem within the two days."

So I'd like to hear Hobu's alternative suggestions.

Thanks,

Regina