[geos-devel] GEOS 3.7.0rc1 release

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Aug 21 07:39:26 PDT 2018

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

>> Sorry, I am not following.  I dug into this harder than probably makes
>> sense because I wanted to make sure there wasn't a bug in NetBSD's sed,
>> in which case I would file a bug report so it is fixed.
>>
>> I don't see -E in POSIX's sed spec:
>>
>>   http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sed.html
>
> It's documented in the sed manpage:
>
> "
>  POSIX.2 BREs should be supported, but they aren't completely because of
>  performance problems. The \n sequence in a regular expression matches
>  the newline character, and similarly for \a, \t, and other sequences.
>  The -E option switches to using extended regular expressions instead;
>  the -E option has been supported for years by GNU sed, and is now
>  included in POSIX.
> "
>
> https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/sed/sed.1.en.html#REGULAR_EXPRESSIONS

The Debian manpages are not authoritative for POSIX :-) It's not an
issue to use -E, but I can't find in POSIX itself where it says this.
But that's not an actual issue and I don't want to take up more or your
time on it.

>> But, in the posix spec for extended regular expressions:
>>
>>   http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap09.html
>>
>> I don't see that .*?  is legal, opposed to (.*)?
>
> That's probably because we're thinking in Perl compatible regular
> expressions, the dominant regex implementation thanks to PCRE, but POSIX
> extended regular expressions don't support that feature.

I am not following you.  The expression in geos 3.7.0rc1 is not legal
according to POSIX extended regular expression.  That's all I was trying
to ask, was to make it conform to posix ERE.

> More specifically thinks like:
>
>  3.7.0alpha
>  3.7.0beta1dev
>
> And (unlikely) cases like:
>
>  3.42.123beta1dev
>
> Once again see the discussion in the related issue:
>
>  https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/ticket/887
>
> One way or another the suffix needs to be stripped from the version
> number, because it shouldn't become part of the library filename.
>
> Initially the suffix was matched, but later changed to match the version
> to handle the dev case in particular, and any other possible suffix we
> hadn't thought of.

That's all totally fine, as long as .* is in parens as the ERE rules
seem to require.