[geos-devel] Possible speed improvement for overlay operations

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:49:34 PST 2018

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:02 AM Paul van der Linden <
paul.doskabouter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow 3.8 sec is that the old version or the one with the envelope check?
> Still puzzling why postgres @work, devpc at home and your system differ by
> that much...
> Thought cpu's are more or less comparable these days...
>
> I do have a pretty fast machine.  And in theory (and in my limited
experience often in practice) the JVM is faster than C code. :)   (My
understanding this is due to clever JIT  dynamic optimization, and highly
tuned memory management)

I guess that poses an interesting challenge to see how GEOS can be brought
up to Java levels of performance.