[geos-devel] RFC7 - Use CMake as build system for GEOS

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Oct 3 11:14:32 PDT 2018

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 12:38:50PM -0400, Daniel Baston wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've posted an RFC to switch to CMake as the exclusive build system for
>> GEOS. Some reasoning is in the RFC itself, but it boils down to wasted
>> developer and machine effort supporting the combination of autotools,
>> CMake, and NMake.
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC7
>>
>> Thoughts from the PSC?
>
> One of the reasons why I still prefer autotools is its ability
> to build tester scripts which work before install (via libtool).
> Does cmake allow for that ?

Testing before install, while the previous version (including libraries)
is installed, is to me a requirement for a build system.  Also cross
building.  People keep telling me that cmake does everything auto* does,
but I wonder.

Perhaps we can drop camke and just have autotools, and native windows
(vs mingw/cygwin) users can fund keeping the separate windows makefiles
up to date (yes, that's mostly a joke).