[geos-devel] RFC7 - Use CMake as build system for GEOS

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Oct 3 12:44:35 PDT 2018

> The current situation is really that CMake is a contributed module and the
> official build tool _is_ autotools. The problem reported in that
> RFC7 is not well-posed in that it assumes contributors are _required_ to
> support multiple build systems.
> Truth is they only need to support autotools,
[Regina Obe]
Yes they are required to support multiple build systems without CMake.
E.g. Lots of people on windows building with Visual Studio use GEOS which means we need to support NMake if we don't support CMake.
Autotools is not supported on native Windows.  Cmake can make VS solution files.

Also Autotools hasn't worked for me for a long time even under Mingw64.
Though in theory if I were energetic enough, I guess I could try to troubleshoot it.

> How problematic would that be for contributors ?
>
> --strk;
Extremely problematic if we drop CMake.