[geos-devel] RFC7 - Use CMake as build system for GEOS

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Oct 3 17:51:51 PDT 2018

pkgsrc is using autoconf.   I have had far more problems with cmake over
time than with autoconf.

This is obviously an issue where people disagree.

However, two observations where there is probably common ground:

  I don't understand windows native builds (because I don't use
  windows), but I don't understand why there is nmake and cmake both.
  If cmake exists to make windows builds work, then I would think nmake
  can go.  And if nmake is how windows native builds are done, I don't
  really see the point of cmake.   I am guessing this question would be
  resolved by dropping nmake.

  Given two systems (auto* and cmake), and the fact that geos seems to
  have had low rate of build system changes, I wonder if there is really
  a problem with both.