[geos-devel] RFC7 - Use CMake as build system for GEOS

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Oct 4 07:16:28 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 10:39:35PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> But for me even when autotools WAS working GEOS compiled way faster
> under CMake than it did under autotools.

I got curious and tested on my system (Ubuntu GNU/Linux 18.04.1 LTS).
For me, autotools build is slightly faster:

  build-autotools$ time ( ../configure && make; )
  real    5m53.185s
  user    5m27.561s
  sys     0m27.071s

  build-cmake$ time ( cmake ../ && make; )
  real    6m18.942s
  user    5m47.012s
  sys     0m31.433s

Versions:

  cmake version 3.10.2
  automake (GNU automake) 1.15.1
  autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
  libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.6

Install/uninstall steps:

  build-cmake$ time sudo make install
  real    0m1.514s
  user    0m0.403s
  sys     0m0.232s
  build-cmake$ time sudo make uninstall
  real    0m3.160s
  user    0m2.130s
  sys     0m1.048s

  build-autotools$ time sudo make install
  real    0m10.302s
  user    0m9.643s
  sys     0m0.737s
  build-autotools$ time sudo make uninstall
  real    0m0.802s
  user    0m0.732s
  sys     0m0.109s

Note that the extra time on "make install" for autotools
is due to some problematic dependency encoded to deal with
GEOS revision flag, used to build final library (not sure
a ticket exists for that already)