[geos-devel] RFC7 - Use CMake as build system for GEOS

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sun Oct 21 02:43:39 PDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 10:38:41AM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Or maybe I should attempt to summarize what I recall from the thread that
> seem to me to be reasonable functional requests before going cmake-only:
>
> - make dist generates a distributable tarball
> - make check
>   - make check runs all tests
>   - make check builds test binaries that can be debugged w/o an install

The "distclean" rule you were asking about is for in-source builds.
Both automake _and_ cmake support both in-source and off-source builds.

In addition to the above autotools also has a "distcheck" rule, which
runs "make dist" and then:

  (1) unpacks the resulting tarball in a new sourcedir
  (2) makes the new sourcedir read-only
  (3) configures and builds in a new build dir
  (4) runs "make check"
  (5) installs in a new empty directory, uninstalls
      and checks that the install dir is again empty

So basically "distcheck" ensures that the distributed tarball works.