[geos-devel] Simplify vs removeRepeatedPoints

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 07:59:05 PDT 2019

CoordinateSequence::removeRepeatedPoints does NOT do what you want - it
only removes consecutive points which have *identical* values.

You can probably use the DP Simplifier to remove redundant point along
straight lines by calling it with a very small distance tolerance.  This
will be a bit brittle however - if there happen to be points along the
square edges which are within that tolerance of a corner then the corner
point might get removed instead.  (For non-rectilinear geometry this
doesn't really matter, but of course for a rectangle it will make it
slightly non-rectilinear)