[geos-devel] RFC 9: Restore C++ API as public API

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 17 06:52:59 PDT 2019

> On 5/17/19 3:23 PM, Andrew Bell wrote:
> > Frequent, breaking API changes seem a problem. ABI changes seem more
> > like a small annoyance. I can understand how a stable ABI would be
> > nice, but I personally don't think it's more important than a good
> > interface for library users.
>
> And that's the difference in perspective between a developer and distribution
> packager.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bas
>
> --
>  GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
> Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1
[Regina Obe]
Exactly.  These days my sensitivities like more on the packaging side than the development side.
If GEOS was a fledgling project I would be fine with broadcasting yeh we have a public C++ API.

The thing is you can still use the C++API, we are just making it clear that you are on your own, which mloskot claims C++ developers know already.

Well guess what? the users/developers downstream of some project that depends on GEOS may not know that, and then they'll be screwed when we change the API.
So the notice lets them know they are trusting something they shouldn't if they try to use the C++ API directly.

Right now the C++ API I feel is more in flux than ever, so the last thing I want is people relying on it especially now while we are making major changes to it.
If you are building your pet C++ project that no one else is going to use, we are not stopping you from taking full advantage of the GEOS C++ API, but at your own risk.  If you expect package managers to package your software, then you gotta make it easier for us.

Thanks,
Regina