[geos-devel] C library versioning confusion

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Dec 11 08:29:39 PST 2020

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 08:13:42AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> > On Dec 11, 2020, at 8:10 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 07:47:19AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> >> Please change the version in the branch and master ASAP.
> >
> > Done:
>
> Can you please also fix the step 1) directions in HOWTO_RELEASE

Step (1) says "verify", not increment.
Anyway I've pushed a change in current master, see if it's clearer now ?

I think the idea is that, at release time you:

  1) Drop the "dev" suffix and find everything else already good
  2) Commit & tag & publish
  3) Prepare the branches for next release (incrementing and re-adding "dev")

> Also please look at steps 1 and 9 in that document, which taken together are incrementing the numbers twice per release. The exact dance of increment, bundle, commit, release needs to be documented or it will continue to be inconsistent, particularly for those of us that do this only every 18 months.

Don't tell me, I did my last one in 2016...