[geos-devel] millions of lines intersection against single polygon

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 08:11:39 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's inspired by this question:
>
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/365901/finding-longest-straight-line-within-polygon-in-qgis
> The routine is used for calculations like "what's the optimal
> placement for a airplane runway" in this polygon.

 Well that's pretty cool!  The diagrams from QGIS are very nice.  They
don't seem to mention performance - I assume it's not very fast using their
approach.

I'm continuing to think about the best way to optimize intersecting a line
with an arbitrary polygon (fully general, so can contain holes).  Am
zeroing in on a solution, but don't have it running yet.  It will be
interesting to see how much faster it is.