[geos-devel] 3.9.1 Release?

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 10 00:41:31 PST 2021

On 2/10/21 9:28 AM, Regina Obe wrote:
>>> That last one is quite a nasty one, do take a look. The fact that we
>>> have a major correctness issue argues for quick release.
>>> https://github.com/libgeos/geos/issues/408
>>
>> With the soft freeze this Friday, it's too late to get this into the next
>> Debian stable release.
>>
>> Patches for the latter three issues could be included if they don't break
>> the C++ ABI. Do they?
>
> Do we still have projects that rely on GEOS C++ABI being stable?

Not in Debian since OSSIM switched to the C API.

> I thought we made it clear -- packagers will not carry your crap if you
> choose to code against the C++ API.
> So C++ API should only be used for those who choose to ship their own stuff.

That is not my concern. libgeos_c links to libgeos-3.9.0.

The changes in 3.9.1 may cause breakage for users of the C API if the
behavior changes due to the underlaying C++ changes. Such breakage is
not acceptable at this point in the release.

So I'm in doubt whether to leave the geos package at 3.9.0 without
patches in the upcoming bookwork stable release, or if these issues are
important enough to fix and don't pose a risk of breakage.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1