[geos-devel] Backporting geosop?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Feb 23 16:56:56 PST 2021

Martin Davis <mtnclimb at gmail.com> writes:

> Autotools is still supported for versions <= 3.9.x.
>
> Not being an autotools expert, I was concerned about breaking something.
> And since this is an optional tool, it wasn't clear that it would be needed
> in packages.  However, I can see that might be desirable.  So maybe
> autotools build is needed.

From the packaging point of view, I'd say that either it shouldn't exist
or it should be packagable.  Essentially all people use things via
packaging systems, despite almost all people who develop a particular
thing not using packaging for it.

For <=3.9, I feel like if it is built with cmake it needs to be built
--- and distributed with make dist -- with autotools.  OTOH if nobody
needs it, then it can just not come to the branch, and people who want
to play with it can build from devel sources.

I would expect that it isn't hard to add it, but I haven't dug in.  It
looks like a bunch of cpp files to build and link together, and that's
pretty normal and compact in a declarative Makefile.am.