[geos-devel] RFC7: Discontinue use of autotools

Daniel Baston dbaston at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:25:29 PST 2021

> I suggest proponents do address the points above.

As I mentioned, Paul added a "make distcheck" in 2019.
I have no knowledge of cross-compiling other than that people do it. The
documentation [1] appears to provide some instructions.

> We don't want to loose functionality for being friendly to Windows (isn't
> this the main
> reason why CMake was introduced?)

I don't know what the motivation was for introducing CMake originally, but
I'm not sure it's relevant 11 years later. The reasons I propose using
CMake are described in the RFC [2].

Dan

[1] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/manual/cmake-toolchains.7.html
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/wiki/RFC7